November 15, 2010

Scott Gordon Fired, Capuano Named Interim

The Islanders made a move that was both surprising and unsurprising at the same time when the announced today the firing of Scott Gordon.

About a week ago, Garth Snow went on record saying that they had not had any discussions about firing the coach of the team, who at that time had lost six in a row. I said in the previous entry that when the streak hit 10 games, Gordon was in dangerous territory.

Jack Capuano comes in after being head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers for the previous four seasons, going 133-100-8-14 games in the process. It is unclear how long he will be the interim for.

As I've stated a couple of times in this space already, I am of the opinion that this is simply not the right move. I won't disagree that losing 10 games is unacceptable, no matter how you look at, but when I look at the roster and the amount of injuries piled on top of that I can't stand behind this move.

Sean and I are getting together to record a podcast on this and our thoughts this evening. I will post more on this subject after we get that out of the way.

-CH

nyifyi@gmail.com

No comments: