November 16, 2011

Third Jersey: Back in Black

The Islanders introduced a new third jersey on Wednesday night, and at the same time introduced a couple of new colors not seen on any previous Isles jersey (aside from certain variations of practice ones, of course).

The last time the Isles had a third jersey that was out of the ordinary, it was primarily orange. Now, the Islanders have joined the current trend and have a primarily black jersey they will wear a dozen times at home for the remainder of this season.

Photo by Official New York Islanders via Flickr
Grey is the other color that has been introduced to the pallet, one that seems to have many people up in arms. I actually like the incorporation of the grey, but maybe not so much on the shoulders.

I like the idea of a black jersey. I wasn't in love with it at the beginning, but the concept is fine. However, there are some aspects of what was unveiled that was good and not so good.

I'm not a big fan of the basketball style numbering and lettering on the front. I wasn't a fan of it when the Atlanta Thrashers did it a few seasons back, and I'm still not today. The jersey would have looked better with an actual logo, even a secondary logo of the old lighthouse patch or something.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure there is a fashion faux pas about combining black and blue. I may have done something else rather than blue on the bottom of the sleeve like thr grey. Or, would have made it all blue and scrapped the black. But again, not totally opposed to the black.

All in all, I'm not excited or upset about them one way or another. I'm naturally more concerned about what we've been seeing on the ice lately rather than what the team is deciding to wear or not wear.

This could have been worse. A lot worse. But in the end, in my opinion it's not the worst thing in the world and is most definitely better than what was originally being discussed at the end of last season. It's not even as bad as some of the others around the league, so we can take that for what it's worth.

I think I've made my apathy on the subject pretty clear by this point, but I can see that this is something the fan base seems to be really passionate about. Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section below, or hit us up on our NYI FYI Twitter account with your thoughts.

-Chris

nyifyi@gmail.com

No comments: